135 lb. Boar Wipeout

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Worked at TBR yesterday. My regular stand had developed wood rot in the floor. I had left my previous hunt early when I heard the floor cracking. Had I stayed much longer, I would have been dumped on the ground. So we hooked it up to the tractor and carried it back to the shop for repairs. In the mean time, an old wooden stand is taking its place and I used it to hunt my normal spot.

The deer seemed to recognize that something was up, but as noted, maybe it was the boar that wasn't too far behind them.

The first shot caught the boar in the left shoulder, breaking it, and not over penetrating. The second shot was a bit high and missed. The third shot hit about dead center of the top of the spine and part of the bullet exited out between the front legs. In retrospect, this anchoring shot probably was not necessary, but he ran after the first shot and I wasn't having him get up to try it again, by golly!

The Armasight Zeus continues to perform well. Got cookies on the way home. It is nearly 2:30 am. I may have to have some before bed!

135 lb. Boar
85 yards
Armasight Zeus 3 640
6.5 Grendel using Hornady SST 123 gr.
UNV MDVR

Last edited:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice work man. I just came home to a sick dog and poop everywhere. Glad your night turned out better than mine.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good shooting Brian. Another hog bites the dust. Seems like you have a lot of single boars running around, good target practice lol. The Zeus looks good.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting Brian, what no angry bird? Maybe that boar was what spooked the deer?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here is a pic of the inside of the box stand I usually use. This was after transporting it as shown in the video. After we got it to the shop, I went up to hold the bolts as Mr. TBR loosened the nuts on the bottom so that we could disassemble it. This is what I found.

20140914_153530reduced.jpg

Never noticed a problem as there was a piece of carpet on the floor for sound dampening. Checked the twin companion stand on the other part of the property and it was in perfect shape. Go figure.

The wood was fiberglassed in place. So we used a Sawzall to cut out the main section. While two sides look horrible here, the other two sides looked good. They weren't. The side on the left was rotted about 3/4 the way across coming back toward the camera. The side not seen was in the best shape, but had 3 areas of rot that maybe comprised half the total width. It was really obvious to find the spots as the Sawzall hit them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that could have caused a real problem, you were lucky to get out safely!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Your FLIR gives wonderful target identification. I'm amazed at how well insulated polar bears are, eluding detection with lower resolution units.

Nice shooting there Kemosabe.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, glad to not be dumped. It would not have gone well.

Ratdog, the "FLIR" is actually the microbolometer in the Armasight scope. For some reason I have a feeling they got a cut on the price of the units by leaving in the logo for FLIR as the other companies that use the microbolometers from FLIR don't have this logo.

Some critters insulate better than others. Get us a video of some polar bears. That would be some to {not} see!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, glad to not be dumped. It would not have gone well.

Ratdog, the "FLIR" is actually the microbolometer in the Armasight scope. For some reason I have a feeling they got a cut on the price of the units by leaving in the logo for FLIR as the other companies that use the microbolometers from FLIR don't have this logo.

Some critters insulate better than others. Get us a video of some polar bears. That would be some to {not} see!
I'd have to figure out (and rig up) a means to record, it would be nice. I'd have to go inline with some magnification too. It's rare that I see 'em closer than 150 yds. And when I do, I tend to be really busy, especially keeping workers from gathering with their iphones for pix.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
and it appears that you may have shaved.

Good you spotted it!!

Last edited:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That sight works great!