120 lbs., 120 yards, Headshot, All Dead

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Went back to my favorite spot at TBR where I shot the coyote and bobcat and had technical difficulties. I worked very hard to make sure everything was juiced up properly, had all the right cords, recorders, etc., and got to try out a new (loaner) Pulsar HD38s thermal spotting scope (2.1x optical, 4.2x digital zoom). Pretty much nothing of consequence happened all night except for watching an armadillo, mice, and bugs with the new spotter until this fellow came out a bit after midnight. I watched him behind the treeline before he emerged and knew it was something bigger than the other critters I was seeing and so I waited for him to reveal himself.

I still managed to screw up the video from the new spotter, but got the video from the rifle scope. So I have made some progress over the previous two outings. So now there is a shorter story and longer video.

As usual, I checked on the terminal ballistic performance to see what happened to the hog. The bullet entered under his right ear, apparently fragmented, and at least two pieces exited on the right side of the head and neck, but I would be willing to be more pieces remained inside.

He was DRT, and boy he was a stinker.

Still liking the Grendel. So does Angry Bird. The kids still like cookies....which I have to go get later today as I apparently forgot them on the way home...

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't be forgetting the cookies. That will get you in trouble

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Look at that smile! Did you shave?

OK the hunt, I have been practicing my grunts w 2 tubes trying to mimic how Glenn sounds, still not sure I have it down. He did keep coming and did not spook.

Loved seeing Angy Bird getting back in the field! I bet the kids will be cookie happy. Thanks

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice hunt Brian. Thanks for the write-up and the video. We get to live vicariously through your hunts.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video. Hate when they don't follow the script. Great shot

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Way to go Brian. And way to stick with them. That's later then I normally stay out.